Being New Year's Eve let's take a look back at the year and the Top 10 stories we covered about Pennsylvania.
1. The failure of the House and Senate to enact much meaningful legislation. The failures include campaign finance reform, lobbying restrictions, open records, gun safety laws, and auditing of the legislative slush funds.
2. PHEAA. The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency was the gift that kept on giving with scandal after scandal.
3. Philadelphia Mayoral primary. This race was interesting and provided interesting fodder all spring.
4. StaffGate: The paying of taxpayer funds to legislative staffers for campaign work promises to be a big story in 2008.
5. Vince Fumo. Again, a story which will break big in 2008 when the trial begins.
6. Tom Caltagirone: The Judiciary Committee Chairman's treachery voting for John Perzel as Speaker began a difficult year in which he gave me story after story. That saga continues also.
7. Bob Regola: The rogue's gallery of interesting people who got tangled in scandal also involved this State Senator whose handgun was used in the death of a neighboring teenager. He is under indictment for perjury.
8. Lou Barletta: The Hazleton Mayor passed racist anti-immigrant laws and got his city sued, big time.
9. Montgomery County Commissioners race. Thanks to Bruce Castor for the great publicity you gave the blog.
10. Judicial races: the contests for Supreme and Superior Courts provided a welcome opportunity for those running to finally discuss their philosophies and tell voters what they stand for and who they are.